The story of Proviron, from the very beginning in 1977 until now
- Proviron was established in 1977 by Leo Michiels. It began as an engineering office called Proviron Engineering. It focused on the development of processes for environmental improvement; hence the name, Process and Environment.
- In 1984, Proviron started production with seven employees, focusing on toll manufacturing (Proviron Industries).
- In 1992, Proviron Engineering was sold to Technip. From then on, the office served as the basis for Technip’s activities in the Benelux.
- In 1996, Proviron acquired the UCB Fine Chemicals plant in Ostend. This resulted in the establishment of Proviron Fine Chemicals.
- Also in 1996, Proviron America Inc was established with a production site in Friendly (West Virginia). The site has parallel activities to Proviron Industries and is dedicated to the American market. Proviron America is also the sales, marketing, and logistics platform for Proviron Industries.
- In 2000, a sulphur silanes production unit was built at the Ostend site. Silanes are used in energy-saving ‘green’ tyres.
- In 2001, Proviron took over Sisas’ phthalic anhydride activities in Ostend. The company also took over the site’s central services, which previously were operated by BASF. With this, Proviron acquired the whole Ostend site with the exception of the Huber activities. By the end of the year, the company employed about 350 people in total.
- In 2007, Proviron finalised construction of the biodiesel reactor on the Ostend site.
- At the end of 2007, Leo Michiels passed control to his sons Wim and Mark Michiels. Wim was appointed CEO and Mark was put in charge of microalgae innovations.
- In 2008, Proviron Fine Chemicals was renamed Proviron Functional Chemicals. This change was linked to the strategy ‘to understand the functionality of our molecules better than our customers, and to become a truly global player in a limited number of product lines'.
- On Tuesday 17 May 2011, Proviron CEO Wim Michiels signed a first agreement to open a Proviron office in the city of Hangzhou - China. Since August 2011 Proviron has actually been present in China where it intends to sell finished products as well as buy raw materials on the Chinese market.